09 September 2006

"I'll trade you Sung Ho saying fuck for Sung Ho breaking my model."

Lemme tell you a little about Sung Ho.

Sung Ho is my 317 (studio) critic. Every MArch3 student has to take 317. There are 3 sections of 317, and for whatever reason I knew I was going to be in Sung Ho's section. This motherfucker is crazy.

On the second day of orientation, he explained my process of creating a drawing:

Sung Ho: "So it's like if you want to find out...how many ticks are on a rat, ya?"
Me: "...ok."
SH: "First you shave it, obviously."
Me: "Yeah, of course." (This was my actual response. I can't really explain it.)
SH: "Then you put blood on it, and you know, on and on, ya?"
Me: "...sure."

Sung Ho gives pep talks. I don't know that he does so intentionally, it just sort of happens. He'll give us an assignment, or explain a certain technique, and it ends up being about how we are here to be architects, not contractors, and that we should be working when everyone else is playing, because we're going to be the ones to change the world, and all that kind of shit. It sounds corny, but it's so heartfelt when he says these things that after hearing them, I feel like I can do anything.

Sung Ho got a baby. He and his wife Heather both teach architecture at WashU, and they have a baby (Evan) that they bring to school sometimes.
Oh
my
God.
A tiny half-Asian baby for me to play with. What a giant unexpected bonus. This baby also happens to be perfect. It is seriously the most beautiful child I have ever seen. My brain is collasping just thinking about it.

Yesterday we were supposed to have a mid-review, but Sung Ho was sick. Our whole section was so worried, and when he finally showed up, we were so happy to see him. Jen and Ryan and I decided that he's kind of like a dad. He never gets angry, but disappointed, and it's the worst feeling in the world. Sometimes he gives us so much work we want to kill him, but then we realize that he wants nothing but the best for us. We look at the other two studios, and conceptually we are already weeks ahead of them. And it's all Sung Ho.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home